As it turns out, the process took a little longer than I thought, and we ended up getting a different couch for the space in the meantime. Things taking longer than I expect is pretty much a constant theme of my upholstery projects, but at four months, the loveseat was still completed faster than these chairs, so I’m going to call that progress.
Here are a few pictures from the process.
Since this was my first couch, and I wasn’t really able to use the previous upholstery too much as a pattern for fear of rooting out more hidden brown recluses, there were many challenges and hours of re-work involved in this project. There were a few times when I wanted nothing more than to find the nearest dumpster and heave this sucker in. One of the hardest parts, though, was that I did all the work in my living room, and having a couch on sawhorses in the middle of your main living area is not a great way to operate for months at a time. This picture above is how I spent many evenings after work, and I think the off-center (but not side) ponytail and random bobby pin securing I-don’t-know-what pretty much say it all about my mental state.
I learned lots during the process that I’ll put to use on the next project–and there will be a next project, though I don’t know if I’ll take on another piece of this size until I can find somewhere to work that is not also where I’m supposed to eat dinner.
But for now, I’m proud to have completed this loveseat! It’s super cute, comfortable, and great for enjoying with furry friends.